North Carolina International Higher Education Workshop: Telling Our International Student and Scholar Story
Schedule (subject to change)
10:00-10:30 Check-in and Coffee
10:30-10:55 Welcome and NAFSA: Association of International Educators Perspective on the Critical Role of International Students and Scholars (Dr. Esther Brimmer)
11:00-11:30 The Professional Organization Role in Advancing Internationalization (Conversation with Dr. Esther Brimmer and Dr. Debra Stewart)
11:30-12:15 Empowered Storytelling for Making Change (Katie O’Connell)
- This session will help you develop strategies to turn data, statistics, and personal stories into narratives and elevator speaches you can you adapt for many different situations where you have an opportunity to educate others about your work and the value of international students and creating a welcoming United States.
1:00-1:45 Breakout Sessions 1 & 2 (attendees will be split into two groups)
2:00-2:45 Breakout Session 1 & 2, repeat (attendees will be split into two groups)
3:00-3:30 Wrap up
Breakout Session #1
“Economic Value: Making the Case with Dollars and Jobs”
- Further in-depth explanation of NAFSA's economic value tool and how to use it;
- Examples from facilitators on how it can be utilized in different settings to educate different audiences and stakeholders;
- Note: while the economic contributions of international students are in addition to the immeasurable academic and cultural value these students bring to our campuses and local communities, the impact of dollars and jobs may foster conversations with new potential allies.
Breakout Session #2
“Harnessing the Power of Traditional and Social Media”
- Developing deeper connections with your Communications/PR areas on campus. Developing strategies to share important information and resources related to these critical populations;
- Follow NAFSA on social media, access to helpful news stories from NAFSA.news, and sign up for CoWorld policy updates - utilize those storylines as part of your own efforts on campus;
- Connect to national networks such as Twitter or Facebook with hashtags. Example: #YouAreWelcomeHere campaign. Learn what other campuses are doing, contribute with what your campus is doing.
- Share your success with NAFSA! Together we can amplify your stories with NAFSA social media and inspire others.